Tuesday, September 1, 2009

I'm afraid to ask...

One of the hardest things about this whole situation is knowing if you are doing the right thing.  There's a fine line between too aggressive and not aggressive enough in this instance.  There's been a question on my mind I was afraid to ask but today I asked.  The question:  Should we start thinking about the surgery option?  Two things worry me here (only two?  who am I kidding? Two BIG concerns).  One is that Noah wouldn't be a candidate for surgery.  Yes, I would like to have the option if we needed for a surgeon to cut open Noah's head and remove the part of his brain causing seizures.  I am nervous that the keto diet won't work.  It's not always successful and if it fails then there really aren't any more options.  If meds don't work and the diet fails where are you supposed to turn?  These seizures have Noah's development at a complete stand still AFTER he went backwards quite a bit.  He lost what skills he had prior to their onset.  I'm getting nervous and desperate.  When will they stop?  Secondly and most obviously, I worry about brain surgery or any surgery for that matter.  Not something I just want to jump into again (surgery that is). So I posed the question to Dr L this morning via email.  Should we start to consider pre-surgery testing to find out if Noah is a candidate?  I'll let you know what he says...

1 comment:

  1. What is the success rate for the surgery?

    ReplyDelete